Right, now that I have come back from holiday, and picked up fresh supplies, its time to get this show back on the road. A few weeks ago I started work on the upper body of the Gundam Astray gold frame, but unfortunately I ran out of matte and gloss acrylic top coat. Thats why its been so long since the last video.
I decided to approach the top section in one go, so I had to prepare quite a lot of parts before I could assemble it. This was the first time I had to prepare so many parts before assembly, and as expected there were a few issues. During the assembly montage, I realized that I had forgotten to prepare 2 small parts which meant that I had to kind of stop everything I was doing and setup my paint station, prepare parts, coat, wait, airbrush, wait airbrush, wait and wait some more and then get back into the swing of things. Something small like this, can really be quite a set back, and when I only have time to build on the weekends, this pushes things back quite a bit. Im definitely going to be a lot more organized next time.
Anyways, here are some photos from the build:
This is the first time I tried to pre-shade some of the parts. You will notice the black pre-shade on the parts in the above photo on the right. When the main coat is airbrushed on, the dark pre-shade will lightly appear through causing a fake-shadow effect and subtle gradient on all edges. This helps with the tones and shadows on the model and also helps to draw out detail.
These photos were taken after all the parts were prepped and ready for assembly. Im pretty happy with how the panel lining came out, it really brings out the fine detail in the various parts. I also panel lined some of the edges, which is more akin to giving the parts a ‘wash’. Black panel lining works really well on the Tamiya gold-leaf. I’m also glad I decided to dry brush the frame even though most of it is not going to be seen, as there are quite a few places where the frame still shows after the parts have been assembled. This can be seen quite a bit when looking at the back of the model as well as the areas close to the joints.
And finally here is the finished product: